Sambo

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 30 03:24:09 UTC 2010

HDAS files contain two refs. to slaves actually named "Sambo" (1704 and
1768). OED has an 1818 that is unlikely to be generic.

Judge Haliburton's _Clockmaker_ (Series 2)  1838, p. 30 seems to use
the name generically: "And Sambo...is sold a second time ag'in."

Henry Louis Gates (_Signifying Monkey_, p. 95) cited an undoubted ex. from
1846: "Here, 'Sambo,' you dam jiggery toe nigger."

The name was in common (white) use by the 1850s. There's even a rare plural
by 1864:

1864 in _Arkansas Historical Qly._ XII (1953) 360: Hundreds of spectators -
ladies, gentlemen, civilians, soldiers, "Sambo's," etc., crowded around.

JL