"ride that goat"

Sat Jan 30 16:58:17 UTC 2010

I could not find the exact text of the tweet in a newspaper in the
NewspaperArchive. But the topic of Masonic brethren riding a goat was
discussed in a newspaper in Ohio in 1888.

Citation: 1888 September 8, Portsmouth Times, A Historic House, Page
1, Col. 8, Portsmouth, Ohio. (NewspaperArchive)

The brethren subsequently fitted up a lodge room on the west side of
Market street, between Second and Third, and still later built their
present temple. Most of the middle aged Masons of Portsmouth took
their first ride on the goat in that room, and many who are now high
up in the order, as well as far on the downhill side of life,
doubtless have pleasant recollections as they glance up at the closed
and time-stained windows.

According to an article on the Dummies.com website: "Freemasons do not
ride a goat in their lodges. It's a joke, perpetrated often by Masons
themselves on nervous initiates."

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/debunking-common-myths-about-freemasonry.html

Of course Dummies.com may not be an ideal website for authoritative
information. There are plenty of other websites that say Masons (or
other groups) do ride mechanical goats, or rocking-horse style goats,
or real goats in ceremonies.