Hoarse, four, mourning etc.

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 2 10:14:51 UTC 2010

Do you think that text messengers, advertisers and others who use the number 4 in place of  'for' make a distinction in the pronunciation of four and for?

--Margaret Lee

--- On Fri, 7/2/10, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU> wrote:

From: Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
Subject: Re: Hoarse, four, mourning etc.
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date: Friday, July 2, 2010, 3:49 AM

That just indicates that the rule might be more general than I
figured.  Historically, both had Middle English /Or/ ( > NORTH), not
ME /O:r/ (like bore, store, score, more), /OUr/ (like four), or /
uurC/ (like court, course) or any other originally long or
diphthongal vowel giving you modern FORCE.  Actually, thinking about
it, force itself belongs to this same subclass--it's from OF force,
with /OrC/ and a labial preceding.  The French origin has nothing to
do with the development--board, which is native, also joins FORCE,
though there are dialects which lengthen /Ord/ to /O:rd/ (and even /
o:rd/) in ME, and labials don't condition this lengthening or any
raising.

Paul Johnston