"on the Fritz"

Baker, John M. JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Jul 3 17:03:16 UTC 2010

Victor's 1877 citation, describing a failsafe system in which a safety cage in a mine is supported by spring-operated claws when the rope breaks, would seem to be a plausible origin for "on the Fritz."

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Victor Steinbok
Sent: Sat 7/3/2010 12:48 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "on the Fritz"

  A quick check of GB shows a number of hits in the 1870s-90s that
appear to be a more likely source. These all deal with engineered
devices, mostly related to mining. I've only given it 5 minutes, but
came up with a variety of "Fritz system", "Fritz mill", "Fritz type",
etc., all appearing in the respective expression ("on the Fritz"). I
haven't investigated much further, at this point, but it seems concerns
about mechanical devices "on the Fritz [system]" would be a more likely
antecedent of the current expression than someone having been on the
dole from someone named Fritz. I can post some hits, of course, if there
is demand, but they are fairly easy to look up. If no one else follows
up, I'll look into it later.

VS-)

PS: I still have the window up, so here are a couple of links:
http://bit.ly/cfCfVX [1877]
http://bit.ly/dD7xVH [1897]
http://bit.ly/9R3FVL [1886]
http://bit.ly/9Qqr09 [1870]

PPS: There is also a good 1903 hits that reveals a slight modification
of contemporary meaning--which also makes sense for SG's 1902 text. The
difference is that the 1903 has no capitalization.

http://bit.ly/d5OMKf
The Typographical Journal. Vol. 22:4. April 1903
Suggestions to Financial Secretaries. By G. A. Steck. p. 333