Subject: cetacean sexism

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 6 17:53:43 UTC 2010

Here's my WAG. If folks here think it's reasonable, maybe it's not all so
wild-ass after all:

I have long thought, without any evidence (nor do I know how any might be
found, if it exists), that sailors' use of the feminine pronoun for the ship
originated at least partly from the pragmatics of discourse. Here is a
speech community consisting entirely of males, speaking a language with
three pronoun genders. All the persons present are "he"; all the objects are
"it". The only referents for standard "she" are remote, represented only by
reference in occasional discourse, while the most important single object in
their lives, which they depend on for their very lives as well as for their
living and everything they own and use, is the ship. There seems to be a
valuable economy in having the ship be the default referent for the feminine
pronoun.

A similar argument could be made for the object of the hunt.

Mark A. Mandel