Racial epithet makes news

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 8 17:39:22 UTC 2010

HDAS originally tried to get around many of these labeling problems by
employing the warning label "vulgar" for "offensive" sexual and scatological
terms and ethnic epithets. The implication, to me, was that such usages
should be avoided in reasonably civil discourse because they were associated
with the usage of lowbrows and/or bigots.

The folks at Random House, however, felt that "vulgar" sounded antiquated
and snobbish and seemed to criticize too overtly the users of such terms.
(Like they shouldn't be criticized.)

The final compromise was on the impeccably objective "usu. [or "often"]
considered offensive," which allows you to hate the sin but love the
sinner.

"Vulgar," however, has the virtue of suggesting only that the habitual user
belongs to an unrefined, vaguely defined lumpenproletariat.  "Offensive,"
OTOH, encourages the idea that an educated person is expected to take
offense and that the speaker is probably trying to offend, whatever the
context.

The relative merits of such labels are endlessly debatable. But I still
prefer "vulgar."
JL