Racial epithet makes news

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Jul 8 18:30:07 UTC 2010

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Racial epithet makes news
>
> Working on a totally unrelated task, I just came across the term "Bajan,"
> a variant of "Badian" ('Barbadian'). New to me!  (The OED does not mark
> the form "Bajan" as offensive.)
>
> --Charlie

Sounds as if he might be related to Rank Bajin, a notorious figure from the
US West who features in the Lobey Dosser cartoon series published in the
Glasgow _Evening Times_, beginning in the late forties:

        http://netsavvy.co.uk/lobey/cast.htm

Robin