Three silly pieces

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 8 22:20:25 UTC 2010

  Odd/unusual usage in each case.

1. Rush Limbaugh on his show, clearly implying "statist", used
eggcornish "static". This is not the first time I heard this happen and
it's not too surprising, as most critics of "statist policies" don't
know where the word comes from. In Limbaugh's case, he clearly should
know better, as he blathers on the subject constantly. But it's happened
before even in his case (although I can't recite the date and time, at
this point).

2. In a comment on Volokh Conspiracy: "Sorry, i have little truck with
the idea that you should put other people at risk to make a point, even
when i agree with their point." Here "little truck" means the opposite
of "no truck". Without context, however, it's not clear whether it means
"I object" or "I have no objections" or "I have only minor objections".

3. In a Boston Globe story (July 7) on the Celtics trying to negotiate
with centers Kwame Brown and Shaquille O'Neill, Celtics coach, Doc
Rivers, is quoted as saying, "Nothing is out of the question, we need a
big." It's possible that this is a screwed up partial quote. It is also
possible, however, that Rivers really did say "a big" meaning "a big
guy". Can't tell without a tape. I requested further clarification from
the reporter, but I am not holding my fingers crossed.

Bonus: From a CSI-New York rerun last night--"So, he was killed by a
crapsicle?" The reference was to an unlucky guy killed by a flush from a
jet passing above, that froze along the way (the flush, not the jet).

     VS-)