Heard on The Judges: _for to_ VP (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 9 01:34:00 UTC 2010

Yes, it's, IMO, very old-timey. Hearing someone less than half my age
use it, when even my East-TX grandparents, born in the 19th century,
didn't use it, caught my ear, the way that seeing East-TX country
cousins pour coffee from the cup into the saucer and then drink it
from there caught my eye.

The speaker was from Youngstown, OH. But it wasn't necessariy the case
that she was a native of that relatively-Northern city.

-Wilson

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Heard on The Judges: _for to_ VP (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> My grandmother, who was from very rural east TN, would say "for to"
> conversationally.
>
> Oh Susannah:
>
> "I'm going to Louisiana,
> My true love for to see"