Three silly pieces

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 9 02:57:51 UTC 2010

  Sorry to disappoint you, Larry! My point, obviously, is that it was
new to /me/. I can say that I've heard someone playing "big" (and
"small") or "bigs" but never "a big". Perhaps you follow basketball--and
basketball lingo--much closer than I do. I have not watched the NCAA
tournament since 1995--in fact, I never watch college basketball and
rarely watch NBA games, except playoffs. And this is the first time I've
seen the expression in a newspaper report. I have not played a pick-up
game since about 1995 as well. I watch far more soccer, hence some of my
recent posts.

The standard reference that I am familiar with is "playing big" and
"playing small", referring to a standard lineup vs. a lineup with three
or four guards (or small forwards), the latter being faster, but is more
of a defensive liability against taller players. But, in neither case is
this a conversion to a noun.

     VS-)