The "fribler" (and bonus: "Not in dignified use")

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 9 14:14:09 UTC 2010

I saw the "fribble"s cited by Mark, but thought that

>So, a man who frivols with women's hearts, who wastes their love negligently.

was at the least a more specific sense for
"fribble" than the "2. intr. *In early use*, to
act aimlessly or feebly, to busy oneself to no
purpose; to ‘fiddle’", and perhaps different
enough to be new.  (1710 for "fribler"seems to be
early enough use not to be the same as the early
sense of "fribble".  And "frivol" as Mark uses it
above is dated by the OED only from 1866.)
-----
Related to Garrick's "Fribleriad" (see, below,
the 1779 citation from The Gentleman's
Magazine)  there are these  two GB snippets (if
I'm interpreting the missing tops of letters
correctly!) from Studies in the eighteenth century; II.:
Papers presented at the second David Nichol Smith
Memorial Seminar, Canberra,1970 [year of
conference; actually published 1973], both from page 362 and in this order:

"A 'fribler' [sic] had been defined by Richard
Steele in Spectator No. 288 as [rest the same as the 1712 quote I gave].
"[? There] is a character named Fribble in
Garrick's play Miss in her Teens. According to
Garrick's friend Arthur Murphy, he represents a
phenomenon of the times, 'the pretty gentlemen,
who chose to unsex themselves, and make a display
of delicacy that exceeded ..."

This seems to be an adoption by Garrick of a word
that he was already familiar with, and with the
same sense as the 1710, 1712, and 1742 quotations.

"Miss in Her Teens" can be seen GB full view (ed.
New York: 1824).  It must have been quite popular
-- the ESTC lists 39 editions, from 1747 -- so at
least in the spelling "fribble" the character
type must have been known by many.  Garrick
himself played Fribble in 1747.  See page 15 for
the heroine's description of Fribble.
-----
Perhaps "fribble" or/and "frivol" (or even
"trifle") is/are what suggested -- by similarity
of sound? -- to someone (apparently not Steele!)
the stem "frible".  But even "frivol, a. and n.",
which is early enough, seems more general,
although it does allow (A.1) "fickle".
-----
As for pronunciation, I favor rhyming with the
related "trifler", but I can't imagine it being
pronounced other than to rhyme with the fertile,
fuzzy creatures from Star Trek.  (Garrick's
spelling of "Fribble" for his character seems to
support the latter pronunciation.)
-----
In passing, in addition to "vulgar" and
"considered offensive" Jesse and Jon may have
overlooked "Not in dignified use" -- as applied to "frivol v.2."
-----
Joel