"rookie" from "recruit"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 10 18:16:30 UTC 2010

The ety. may only be infl. by "recruit."

Here 's an old Scottish ex. where it means "rook," the bird, though
admittedly as a diminutive:

1836 _The Atlas_ (London) (July 31) 488 (NewspaperArchive): Hast thou no
cosie ingle nookie/ Whar' thou canst roost up like a rookie?

The printed evidence shows "rookie" coming into use in American writing
during and after the Spanish-American (1898), but an 1897 ex. in
NewspaperArchive implies its common use a decade earlier.  Like "rookie"
irself, the variant "rook" was familiar in both the army and the navy.

I've never noted either in any contemporaneous writings or later memoirs of
the Civil War.  It seems certain that, as far as the general public goes,
the word "rookie" was introduced by the writings of Rudyard Kipling.

JL