"lead-pipe cinch" (antedating to 1888 July 29)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jul 11 22:46:18 UTC 2010

On brief glance at the usual archives, I note (e.g.) "cast iron
certainty" from 1869. Easy to account for that as a metaphor, I suppose.

By comparison, along with "lead pipe cinch", I see "cast iron cinch"
from 1892, "iron pipe cinch" from 1899.

Are these just blends? Maybe. Or maybe "iron" actually preceded "lead".

"Iron" would provide a more obvious metaphor, but it could have been
supplanted by "lead" on the basis "lead pipe is even better than iron"
or so.

During the period in question, I think much routine plumbing could be
done either with (various types of) iron pipe or with (more expensive
and durable) lead.

Somebody with bigger databases (or more cleverness) might be able to
support or refute such notions.

Need that last volume of HDAS.

-- Doug Wilson