rhythmic blends

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 12 13:50:04 UTC 2010

The movie in question was _The Black Shield of Falworth_ (1954).  I have a
distinct (i.e., possibly phony) recollection of reading long ago that Curtis
never uttered that line in the film (which remember even more vaguely).  But
he certainly did sound like Tony Curtis throughout, just as in _Taras Bulba_
(1962).

A Google search, including GB, tends to confirm the line's absence. It may
have been popularized (SWAGging here) by somebody like Frank Gorshin in one
of his many appearances on the Sullivan show.

Whippersnappers: Gorshin was an adept impressionist before he became "The
Riddler."

Ultra-Whippersnappers: "The Riddler" was a villain on the old _Batman_
show.  The guy doing the current comic-book-style insurance commercials
beginning "Fellow citizens! As we speak..." is Adam West, formerly Batman.

Non-whippersnappers: He's over 80 now.

JL