He says "overpass", I say ...

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 12 17:01:14 UTC 2010

At 7/12/2010 12:12 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>  True, but "low underpass" is confusing, if it makes any sense at all.
>Yet "low overpass" means something other than what it is used for here,
>so it's not much of an improvement.
>
>Storrow Drive is notorious for low clearance of its many underpasses,
>routinely snagging moving vans coming in to drop off incoming students.
>However, the logical implication here would be of a depressed roadbed in
>an underpass, not of the vertical clearance of the passage. I am not
>entirely sure how I would express it in a short phrase, but "low
>overpass" ain't it.

"Low underpass" is not confusing to me as a nearby resident,
especially when there is a heavy rain.  (And "low clearance" is not
relevant here.)  Several of the Storrow Drive underpasses are quite
low compared to the nearby Charles River, perhaps even below its
level.  (Drains would I suppose require pumps, even if permitted in
these days of ecological concerns.)  And even apart from that, they
often collect water in heavy rainstorms, but the "higher underpasses"
do not.  Only those unfamiliar with Storrow don't know what to
expect, and where.

Joel