FW: Assassination euphemisms

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Jul 14 16:44:44 UTC 2010

The incident I related below occurred before any novels or films had been
written about the Vietnam War. And because of the context, I never saw
anything cute about the phrase "terminate with extreme prejudice."  I
assumed at the time (rightly or wrongly) that it was used as a sort of code
to confuse any enemy who might pick up the radio transmission while at the
same time conveying a clear message to the American soldiers what to do with
the captured Viet Cong.

 The words "with extreme prejudice" might have been redundant, but they also
helped make crystal clear what the fate of the Viet Cong prisoner was to be.

Gerald Cohen

Message from Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM, Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:51:57:

Terminate with extreme prejudice was revealed in Congressional hearings
around 1970 or 1971. The same may be true of neutralize -- I don't recall.

DanG