article on the name "America"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 15 21:21:57 UTC 2010

A quick scan of NewspaperArchive suggests that the _playboy_, 'a usu.
wealthy, devil-may-care fellow who is very popular with women' became
popular in the U.S. only after the introduction, ca1919-20, of the "Jordan
Playboy," a sportscar.

The first individual referred to in print as a "playboy" in this sense may
have been Babe Ruth, in 1920, a "rollicking, jovial playboy."

JL