fighting for punk

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 16 02:26:18 UTC 2010

Alluding to a once-familiar line in _Hudibras_ by Samuel Butler
(1612-1680):

"When civil dudgeon first grew high,
And men fell out, they knew not why:
When hard words, jealousies, aud fears,
Set folks together by the ears,
And made them fight, like mad or drunk,
For Dame Religion as for punk...."

Where "punk" means "whore."

Presumably the two were fighting over a lady of ill repute.

JL