query on poetic figure

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Jul 16 04:15:30 UTC 2010

The term I learned for this is hudibrastic rhyme. Tom Lehrer is a master at
it. Some of my favorites are from just one song ("Smut"):

    Give me smut and nothing but!
    A dirty novel I can't shut
    If it's uncut
    And unsubt-
    le.

    As the judge remarked the day that he acquitted my Aunt Hortense,
    To be smut it must be ut-
    terly without redeeming social importance.
    Por-
    nographic pictures I adore.
    Indecent magazines galore...

Lehrer's most audacious example IMO is from "We Will All Go Together When We
Go":

    When you attend a funeral,
    It is sad to think that sooner o(r) l-
    ater those you love will do the same for you.
    And you may have thought it tragic,
    Not to mention other adjec-
    tives to think of all the weeping they will do.

-Neal