blame (was: Prescriptivism and the cinema)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 16 14:02:39 UTC 2010

At 4:22 PM -0700 7/15/10, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>now, the big fuss among peevers is over the two argument structures:
>
>(a) blame SOURCE (for CONSEQUENCE)  (blame Kim (for the disaster))
>(b) blame CONSEQUENCE on SOURCE  (blame the disaster on Kim)
>
>the peevers' claim (since the mid-19th century
>or so) is that only (a) is acceptable and that
>(b) is simply wrong wrong wrong: you can't blame
>*something*, they say, majestically (you can put
>the blame on Mame, you can blame Mame for it,
>but you can't blame it on Mame).  but (b) has
>been used by polished, good writers for a very
>long time, and continues in such use today
>(alongside (a); the two variants have different
>virtues).  some handbooks still deprecate it,
>and some mark it as colloquial, but these
>attitudes bordered on the loony a hundred years
>ago, and there's no rational defense for them
>now.  (of course, if you choose not to use the
>(b) structure and opt for (a) instead, that's
>your business.)
>
>now observe that even the loonies have "blame"
>as a verb (in structure (a)), and that's been
>around, undisturbed, since early middle english.
>
>you can see why i'd be interested in seeing a
>textbook that actually says that "blame" cannot
>be used as a verb, period, which entails that
>(a) is as unacceptable as (b) is sometimes
>thought to be.
>
>in terms that i have sometimes used, this would
>be a case where the claimed unacceptability of
>(b) *contaminates* the innocent (a).

If so, the situation would be similar to what
MWDEU sees as having happened with "infer" in
what it refers to as the "More 1533" sense:
"infer" meaning 'imply' or 'lead someone to
conclude' with an non-human subject (where, of
course, no confusion is possible, since only
humans--or maybe other higher mammals--can draw
inferences).  This sense is widely attested since
Sir Thomas More used it in 1533 (5 years after he
introduced the universally approved "More 1528"
sense of "infer" with the meaning 'conclude,
deduce'.  This usage, as shown both by MWDEU and
the OED ("infer" sense 4: 'To lead to (something)
as a conclusion; to involve as a consequence; to
imply. Said of a fact or statement; sometimes, of
the person who makes the statement') has a
lineage that includes Shakespeare, Milton,
Jonathan Edwards, James Boswell, Jane Austen,
Thomas Hardy, Joshua Whatmough ("the levels of
restricted syntactic relationships infer an
individual complication of language") and William
Faulkner ("to be a literary man infers a certain
amount of--well, even formal education"), but it
has become the target of prescriptivists since
the early 20th c., probably because of guilt by
association with the use of "infer" *with a human
subject* to mean 'imply', where confusion can
indeed occur.  This latter is what MWDEU dubs
"Terry 1896", for its first attested written
example in a letter from actress Ellen Terry: "I
should think you DID miss my letters. I know it!
butŠyou missed them in another way than you
infer, you little minx!"  The OED adds the more
recent cite "I can't stand fellers who infer
things about good clean-living Australian
sheilahs".  If MWDEU is right, and their argument
does seem plausible, the Terry 1896 use of
"infer" (= 'imply', with a human subject) has
come to "contaminate" the More 1533 use (=
'imply, lead to a conclusion', with a non-human
subject).

LH