"Base ball", (2)

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 19 01:22:28 UTC 2010

Dear me, how can they have missed that? And they have quotations from
"c1815" all the way up to 1911!

c1815 JANE AUSTEN Northang. Abb. i. (1848) 3 It was not very wonderful
that Catherine..should prefer cricket, base ball..to books.

1911 H. HARRISON Queed xviii. 225 On the following Saturday,..he took
Miss Weyland to another base-ball game.

But tsk, tsk! The only alternate spelling provided is "base-ball",
whilst fully half of their quotations (not counting the double
Chadwick) spell it as two words, "base ball", even in the compounds
"base( )baller" and "base( )ballist".

m a m