"Base ball"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Jul 19 22:48:13 UTC 2010

> No ex. of the first printing (1744) seems to be extant.  The earliest
> "edition" available seems to be the "Tenth," of 1760.
>
> JL

Fair point, but even a 1760 date still places the term "base ball" before
American Independence.  (And I'd be inclined to credit an earlier "lost"
edition, given that children's books, like detective paperbacks, tend to be
read to death rather than sold on.)

There seem to be some early American editions of _A Little Pretty
Pocket-Book_, which might suggest that the term "base ball" had currency in
America before the word "rounders" appeared in either England or America.
At the very least, it doesn't look as if it's something as simple as the
term "rounders" being used for the English game, and "baseball" for the
American one.

The OED gives citations for "cricket" from the late 16thC, so this would
seem to be the earliest term to appear.   None of the early citations seem
sufficiently specific to be able to distinguish the nature of the actual
game being played from "base ball", if there was indeed a difference.  I had
thought that cricket and baseball evolved from a common ancestor, but it
looks more as if cricket came first, only later followed by the version
played with bases.

As to rules, I wondered whether this might be a reflex of nineteenth century
regimentation on both sides of the Pond, but a quick glance at the evidence
doesn't seem entirely to support this:

ROUNDERS

"The first nationally formalised rules were drawn up by the Gaelic Athletic
Association (GAA) in Ireland in 1884."
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

CRICKET

"However, these laws were not universally followed, with different games
played under different guidance. On 30 May 1788, the Marylebone Cricket
Club, which had been formed by the leading noblemen and gentlemen playing
the game just one year before, produced its first Code of Laws."
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_Cricket#History

BOXING

"In 1867, the Marquess of Queensberry rules were drafted by John Chambers
for amateur championships held at Lillie Bridge in London for Lightweights,
Middleweights and Heavyweights. The rules were published under the patronage
of the Marquess of Queensberry, whose name has always been associated with
them."
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing#Marquess_of_Queensberry_rules_.281867.29

Robin