glitch antedated to 1948 [was 1955]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 20 18:40:17 UTC 2010

This is intriguing -- the "figurative" sense of glitch (OED
"b.  Astronauts' slang. A hitch or snag; a malfunction.") now
precedes the concrete sense (OED "a. A surge of current or a spurious
electrical signal (see quots.)" -- although the OED extends sense a.
with "also, in extended use, a sudden short-lived irregularity in
behaviour", which some might claim fits the 1948 quotation.  Let
alone, in 1948, preceding astronauts' slang.

And of course "glitch, b." is no longer restricted to
astronauts.  The OED senses seem to need rearranging.

Joel