Another suspect quote: Ira Hayes

Wed Jul 21 23:46:39 UTC 2010

Jonathan Lighter raises an intriguing question about a quotation
attributed to Ira Hayes, one of the soldiers that famously raised the
second flag on Iwo Jima:
> "How could I feel like a hero when only five men in my platoon of 45
> survived, when only 27 men in my company of 250 managed to escape
> death or injury?"

I have located a book that contains a citation for this quotation to
the Boston Globe in 1945. However, I do not think that I have access
to a database containing the Boston Globe in 1945. ProQuest databases
have many flavors. PR from the firm trumpets a database with Boston
Globe coverage from 1872 to 1979. But access is carefully rationed
because knowledge is dangerous.