decimate

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Thu Jul 22 02:34:10 UTC 2010

Pulverize was great. Decimate must mean one tenth, orient must mean which
way is east, pulverize must mean reduced to dust. And wiped out must involve
a towel, or a mop, or perhaps a Handi Wipe? To be rubbed out must involve an
eraser, or maybe just a lot of elbow grease. If someone kicks your ass at
ping pong you'd better not be able to sit down or the phrase will have been
used incorrectly. And so on. But I also agree in that I would probably not
use decimate to mean total annihilation. It is something much more severe
than a boo-boo, but less than extinction. But then, total annihilation is
redundant anyway, annihilation being inherently total. No? If not, then I
suppose that if you get into partial annihilation you've got decimation.
N'est-ce pas? And all you guys talking about your Latin classes, wasn't it
Latin that made some folks think there should be no split infinitives in
English? So, we despise one Latin leftover and cleave to another? Tut.
DAD

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Eric Nielsen
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:39 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: decimate

Precision was probably too exacting a word to use. You're right: it would be
ridiculous to have a word for every percentage of lives lost--unless you
were in a culture where that was somehow important. And if decimal places
were allowed....

I learned the every tenth man etymology from a Latin professor years ago;
but she was illustrating how the different words we have to describe
destruction and loss of life have degrees of intensity attached and carry
connotational baggage. She pointed out that originally decimate was not
used to describe a complete loss of lives--as it sometimes is today. To
describe complete loss of life there are better choices to this old fogey.
Decimate seems too mild to describe Custer's massacre, annihilation, and
utter obliteration. .

And then, there is "pulverize" which is often used  to describe a treatment
much less severe than being completely reduced to dust.

Eric

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM, David A. Daniel <dad at pokerwiz.com> wrote:

---

> Well, actually, since it is no longer common practice in most modern
armies
> to punish the troops by executing every tenth man, I can't really think of
> practical use for decimate other than to describe some kind of serious,
> though perhaps unquantifiable, destruction or carnage. I suppose I could
> make sure that a tenth of something, no more no less, had been destroyed
> (like a tenth of the trees in a forest, destroyed by fire, for example) so
> as not to risk imprecise use of the term but, knowing myself, I'll
probably
> just blunder ahead without spending the time or energy to make an accurate
> count. Besides, were I to make an accurate count I might find that 12%, or
> maybe only 9%, of something had been destroyed and then I would be without
> term to describe the destruction. (duodecimate, novemate? nah)
> DAD
>

> If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

03:36:00