Bad Taste Breakthrough! PLUS New Phoneme! (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 23 15:21:07 UTC 2010

At 12:55 AM -0400 7/23/10, Eric Nielsen wrote:
>I would think the obnoxious buzzer sound used on game shows and the like to
>indicate a wrong answer may qualify as a morph/phoneme as well. It's often
>heard in conversation and on TV where a character will say something like: "
>"aaaaaa"  that's not the answer I want." or
>" "aaaaaa" you lose."

That buzzer sound was also incorporated (as a suprasegmental) into
the pronunciation of what I call "retro-NOT", which some will
remember from its apogee in the early 1990s (it was the ADS Word of
the Year for 1992), as discussed by me and especially by Jon and
Jesse in their 1993 _American Speech_ paper.  Many contributors to
the Linguist List and ADS-L threads on this back in that period
(1991-92) mentioned associating the production of "NOT!" with that
"wrong" buzzer (accomplished typically by the level prolonged tone
and the maintenance of nasalization throughout the syllable).  (While
Jesse and Jon tracked retro-NOT back to the late 19th century, we can
assume that the earlier occurrences did not feature the
game-show-buzzer suprasegemental.)

LH