"soft baked"; and "no great kicks"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 23 15:30:33 UTC 2010

At 9:57 AM -0400 7/23/10, George Thompson wrote:
>Jonathon Green is no longer one of us, so I forwarded this item to
>him.  He replies that Farmer & Henley give "soft-baked" as an
>alternative form of "half-baked". I hadn't checked that book.

In my edition, I don't see it.  Under BAKED they give "half-baked"
('said of a dull-witted or imbecile person') but not "soft-baked".
Under SOFT they have a lot of colo(u)rful or curious entries--

"Hard (arse) or soft?" = 'third class or first?'
"A bit of hard for a bit of soft" (venery) = 'copulation'
"Soft-ball" (Royal Military Academy) = 'tennis'

--but nothing on "soft-baked".

LH