"knock" vt. & esp. n. (1560 antedates 1933?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 23 16:51:19 UTC 2010

At 7/23/2010 11:44 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>At 10:43 AM -0400 7/23/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>At 7/23/2010 01:12 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>>Interesting!
>>
>>The full definition for "knock, v." sense 2.d is "To copulate with;
>>also, to make pregnant. So in phr. to knock a child (or an apple) out
>>(of)."  [For "apple", the OED has 1818; for "child", 1922 Joyce.]
>>
>>A fun citation is "1604 MARSTON Malcontent III. iii. sig. E2v Haue
>>beate my Shoomaker, knockt my Sempstres, cuckold my Pottecary, and
>>vndone my Taylor."
>>
>>'Way down at 18.j is "To make (a woman) pregnant; (less commonly) to
>>have sexual intercourse with (a woman). slang (orig. U.S.).
>>     1813 C. EARLE Diary 12 Apr. in J. McPhee Pine Barrens (1971) ii.
>>33 William Mick's widow arrived here in pursuit of J. Mick, who she
>>says has knocked her up."
>>
>>Joel
>
>Farmer & Henley provide a 1560 cite under their entry for KNOCK
>'copulate', but it seems to illustrate if anything the related
>substantival subentries (KNOCK (1) 'an act of coition' (2) 'the
>penis':
>
>1560 Nice Wanton [Dodsley] Goldlocks She must have knocks, Or else I
>do her wrong.

This would seem to *way* antedate the OED.  "knock, n.1", sense 5.a,
"(An act of) copulation; so on the knock, engaged in
prostitution.    b. Austral. Phr. to do a knock with: (see quot.
1941)."  First cite "1933 N. LINDSAY Saturdee 138 Supposin' I was to
do a knock with girls, what 'ud I say to them?"

>1598 FLORIO, Worlde of Wordes, _cunnuta_, a woman nocked.

The OED has the Florio as its first cite for "knock" as a verb with this sense.

>The F&H entry for the related (as they see it) NOCK (v.) (cf. "nok
>her with his Prick" in the Maine cite below) provides, along with the
>same Florio cite above, this much later one:
>
>1775 ASH, Dict. NOCK, to perform the act of generation on a female.

The OED does not put the sense of "copulate" under "nock"  (it's
where I first looked for "nok").  Does the placement of some of the
quotations need to be reconsidered?

Joel