Submariner [was "thousand-yard stare"] (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 27 18:26:25 UTC 2010

OED seems to give "subMARiner" as the sole pronunciation.

In decades of watching American TV news and history documentaries, I don't
believe I've *ever* heard that pronunciation. (Well, possibly a handful of
times.) Except from Brits. Whether the Brits were submariners or otherwise I
can't say.

Surprisingly, the word doesn't appear to be in the 1913 Meriam Webster.
(OED's earliest is from 1915.)

Earlier:

1895 _United Service Magazine_ (London) XI (N.S.) 24: I will now consider
two matters which are peculiar to submarine navigation, that is, the
external and surrounding pressure, proportional to the head of water (depth
of submersion), to which the hull of a submarine boat is liable, and the
absence of any light whereby to enable the submariner to guide his craft as
she cleaves her way through the waters of the mighty deep.

The article is entitled "The Submarine Boat."  N.b. "boat."  The writer
("Lieutenant Sleeman, Late R.N.") seems not to employ "submarine" as a noun.

JL