hacker (antedating Tech Model Railroad Club of MIT - TMRC Dictionary 1959) (Should be checked in original document)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 28 23:56:39 UTC 2010

  MIT has long had a particular "hacker" subculture that predates any
computer usage. The computer-related term may or may not have been
derived from it (one would imagine MIT had access to early computers and
was responsible for a large share of early hacks--or, at least, a large
number of free-lancing hackers attended MIT at some point in their
hacking careers). This is the reason for the 1959-60 association with
MIT (including an appearance in The Tech).

I took me only a couple of minutes to find another early appearance of
"Hacker", although this one was a nickname attached to the name of one
of the deans (or a person named Dean--what are the odds that a player on
the Administration basketball team would be named Dean?).

The Tech, vol. 78:9. March 11, 1958
Basket-Brawl Game Planned For Faculty Early This Spring. p. 6/1
> Last year's game, won by the Science-Administration five, featured
> such Tech notables as "Easy Uno" Ingard, Dean "White Bucks" Speer,
> Nicholas "Iron Man" Grant, Dean William "Hacker" Holden, "Rocky
> Stocky" Stockmayer, Mal "Waban Wrecker" Kispert, Joseph "Bonus Baby"
> Synder, Charles "Killer" Miller, Rog "Prouncer" Prouty, and John "The
> Stilt" Murphy. The officials included President Killian, Deans Rule
> and Fassett, Dr. Stratton and Dean Thresher.

"Hacking" actually has multiple meanings on campus (none involving
chopping off limbs). I doubt the nickname would have been given
randomly--it should be possible to antedate this further by focusing on
MIT literature from the post-war years to 1960. Unfortunately, The Tech
archives are supremely disorganized and preclude an easy systematic search.

Oh, yes, the link!! It's a PDF file.

http://tech.mit.edu/V78/PDF/N9.pdf

There is no doubt as to the authenticity--the title page displays the
date, as do all other pages.

     VS-)

     VS-)