hacker

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 29 04:11:32 UTC 2010

  Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I cannot answer that question
definitively, of course, but I would like to note that only a couple of
nicknames have "basket-brawl" implications. Some of the rest are
variations on the names (Prouncer, Rocky Stocky), but the rest have
neither connection. For my part, I doubt that this use of the verb
"hack" has been around before the 1970s, but there is nothing scientific
about this claim.

I did mention "hacking"=="cutting off" connection, but the sense of
"hacking" that is the same as "mugging" in sports context seems to be
fairly recent (I was not around in the 50s, so I don't know). I could be
wrong of course--there is an OED subentry "hacker"=="cutthroat", but
this just seems to be a homologous development (hacking implies a
chopping motion to slap the ball out or to hit an arm, in basketball, or
kicking out at the shins in soccer, and mugging implies a rough
treatment, usually a foul, and the two can be coincident and synonymous,
but this is not something that developed from
"hacker"=="butcher"-->"cutthroat").

An entirely different use of "hacking"--"hacking coat". This is "hacking
vbl. n.2." in the OED. There is a corresponding "hacking length",
implying the length of coat commensurable with a hacking coat, but there
is no "hacking pockets". The Tech, on the other hand, has an ad for an
outer coat with "two lower hacking pockets with flaps, and two upper
muff pockets".

http://tech.mit.edu/V78/PDF/N38.pdf

See The Coop ad for The Sportster on p. 4.

     VS-)