jackwagon

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 29 05:18:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [J]ackwad" may or may not be disgusting, depending on your sense of language.

Does this _wad_ have anything to do with the one in "shoot one's
_wad_"? And does that _wad_ have anything to do with "Johnny Wadd,"
the cinematic character immortalized by the late, great John Holmes?

I had to have the pun explained to me, since _wad_, IME, has no
obscene connotations in BE. Before I heard the explanation, my
assumption had been that "shoot" and "wad" had to do with the wadding
used in loading muskets.

Hence, according to my sense of language, both "jackwagon" and
"jackwad" are nonsense nonce forms. After hearing the "jack off"
portion of Robert's lecture, I must have slept through the part
wherein he expostulated upon "jack *wad.*

OT: Does the voiceover-guy for that movie *really* say, "Dinner For
*[s]mucks*," instead of "... [S]mucks"?

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain