irregardless, still earlier

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jul 29 20:32:20 UTC 2010

On further investigation, Google Books turns up a flurry of cites from
the 1870's. Betcha Jesse is already on to this. But given the amount
of attention the word has gotten, it's curious the Wentworth cite
hasn't been antedated already.

God's laws are above human laws or wisdom, and as the spire built
irregardless of line and plumb cannot stand long. 1875

In the Prussian service all hygienic responsibility ended when a warm
hospital building was secured, irregardless of bad air. 1876

B. Goese, Esq., of London, who gave indiscriminately to every object
irregardless of its worthiness amd could not bear to destroy anything.
1873

GN