irregardless, still earlier yet

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 30 01:38:21 UTC 2010

At 1:41 PM -0700 7/29/10, Geoffrey Nunberg wrote:
>And now Larry reminds me that Ben reminded him that Motivated Grammar
>had some of these last year, and that Richard Hershberger has taken it
>back to 1795. Which leads to the question, why did it wait to become
>an Issue -- "that most monstrous of non-words," as Life put it --
>until the early 20th century?
>
>Geoff

Possibly for the same reason that the use of "infer" for "imply"
(i.e. 'to lead to a conclusion' rather than 'to draw a conclusion'),
which is amply attested in Shakespeare, Milton, Austen, Hardy, et al.
(as I mentioned a few weeks ago in another connection, citing the
extensive entry in MWDEU), only because a prescriptivist bugbear in
the early 20th century.  There were other issues involved with that
one (for one thing the latter isn't a case of "not in *the
dictionary* so there's no such word" issue and for another, there's
an issue of "infection" between "personal" and "impersonal" _infer_
as we were discussing in that early June thread), but the timeline is
somewhat similar.

LH