renaming because of illness

Sat Jul 31 19:24:13 UTC 2010

Here is another possible lead. The text "Popular Beliefs and
Superstitions: A Compendium of American Folklore" (1981) contains
several entries that record this belief and similar beliefs.

http://books.google.com/books?id=R7TYAAAAMAAJ&
http://books.google.com/books?id=R7TYAAAAMAAJ&q=%22fool+the+Angel%22#search_anchor

Below is extracted text that contains multiple OCR errors. Please
consult the original text on paper:
Page 86

2104. When a girl is sick change her name to Ida, which means 'Life'
(R.H., F, 45, h.wife, Russ.-Jew., University Heights, 1957). ...

2105. When you are seriously ill, change your name to Chaim, 'Life.'
or Albar. 'older,' 'old one,' or Chiah (for a girl) also, 'Life,' to
fool the angel of death ...

Page 286

7156. When a person is deathly ill, if he changes his name he has a
better chance of survival ...

7157. If you are at death's door, your first name is changed by your
family so that when the Angel of Death comes he cannot take you (J.B.,
F, 49, teacher, Ger.-Jew., Cleveland, 1956); ... when a man is near
death, his name is changed so as to fool the Angel of Death (M.S., F,
22, student, Russ.-Pol.-Jew., Cleveland, 1959); ...

7161. When a man is near death, his name is changed in a synagogue
proclamation so as to fool the Angel of Death (Anon. , Hung.- Jew.,
Cleveland, 1929, Gage, p. 3l); ... if a person is very sick, or is
dying, he will live if someone goes to the Temple and changes his
Hebrew ...

Garson