Howitzer (minor point)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 1 08:23:03 UTC 2010

The OED has "howitzer" variants going quite a ways back, but the
spelling with the -o- is only dated from 1812.

I accidentally came upon an earlier piece with the same spelling. This
is not particularly significant, I suppose.

http://bit.ly/b7aXeA
The Annual Register, With a View of the History, Politics, and
Literature, For the Year 1775. J. Dodsley, London: 1775
History of Europe. Chapter 8. [Bunker's Hill battle] p. 134
> A heavy and continual fire of cannon, howitzers, and mortars, was from
> thence carried on upon the works, from the ships, floating batteries,
> and from the top of Cop's-Hill in Boston. ... The attack was began by
> a most severe fire of cannon and howitzers, under which the troops
> advanced very slowly towards the enemy, and halted several times, to
> afford an opportunity to the artillery to ruin the works, and to throw
> the provincials into confusion.

In fact, GB finds nearly 500 raw hits for "howitzer" pre-1800. Only 68
show up for pre-1776. Either there was significantly more war writing
following the American revolution, or the use of howitzers--and spelling
their description in this manner--became widespread around this period.

In GB, the form "howitzer" appears in 1761 and does not appear to be a
novelty (also hits for 1762, 1763, etc.)

http://bit.ly/bTOEnk
The Gentleman's and London Magazine, and Monthly Chronologer. Volume 30.
September 1761
The French account of the attempt made on the 8th of April. [Genuine
Account of the Siege of Belleisle.] p. 424
> But during the night, and all that morning,
> three twenty-four pounders, one twelve-pounder, and
> one howitzer, besides thirty or forty cohorns, kept insessantly
> playing, which made it too hot for the French.

I made no attempt to antedate the gloss in general, just the updated
spelling.

     VS-)