Q: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 1 19:12:04 UTC 2010

At 2:22 PM -0400 6/1/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Having now recalled that this has been discussed before (in Nov.
>2006), I find in the (ADS-L) archives that I wrote nearly the same
>information then.  I suggested someone ask Oettinger.  No-one
>reported back that they had.
>
>Joel

And in Nov. 2006 I mentioned recalling the existence of a poem that
included both these lines, but being unable to locate said poem on
the web.  This is still the case.  I was able to confirm, however,
that the observation that time flies like an arrow and fruit flies
like a banana was made by Mark Twain and Groucho Marx.
Independently, I presume, although you never know.  And inside of a
dog, those fruit flies are too dark to see.

LH