Q: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Wed Jun 2 08:48:43 UTC 2010

I can't resist adding another twist to this formula, which is starting to
look like an aphorism made of multiple snowclones, except that snowclones
don't (as far as I know) exploit morpho-syntactic ambiguity in the way that
these phrases do.

Anyway, this one, I got from Beatrice Santorini at Penn in about 2003:

'Time flies like an arrow; fruit-flies like a banana; Chuck Yeager flies,
like, airplanes.'

So, two different uses of _flies_, and three of _like_.

A Google of

"flies, like, airplanes"

turns up no relevant hits;  a Google of

"Chuck Yeager flies, like"

turns up no hits at all. Anyone else come across this phrase anywhere else
(possibly, of course, with another pilot's name subbed in)?

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK