New Book on Word Origins

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jun 3 22:17:09 UTC 2010

Today I received a message about a new book on word origins:  Strange Bedfellows: The Private Lives of Words, by Howard Richler.
Cost: $19.95.  Publisher: Ronsdale Press, Vancouver, B.C.  ISBN: 978-1-55380-100-9.  I told Mr. Richler I would inform ads-l about his book and  asked him for a brief description of it.  The description appears below.

First, though: I have not yet seen the book and therefore cannot comment about it.  Also, I have no financial connection to the book and have no recollection of being previously in contact with its author.  But I *would* be curious to take a look at the book to see just what its author has done.

Gerald Cohen
Research area: Etymology

[Howard Richler's reply to my request for information about his book]:

"The bawdy English language has never been overly concerned with
purity, and this promiscuous proclivity has contributed to many
alluring word histories. Richler combines his etymological talents
with those of the muck-raking journalist to expose the louche baggage
that many words have accumulated throughout the centuries.

"When reading Strange Bedfellows: The Private Lives of Words expect to
learn the unexpected truth about the past lives of many words. You
will discover why gossiping in church is etymologically proper and
that words such as "avocado" and "porcelain" have past associations
with some of the nether regions of the body that have been
conveniently forgotten by the lovers of fruit and fine china.

"As Richler reveals, the English language has slept around for
centuries and in the process has been seduced by many foreign
influences. Mostly composed of short chapters with each containing ten
words from specific fields, Strange Bedfellows will surprise and
delight the reader."