Dialects: Rel. clause subj. in interr.?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 5 03:51:00 UTC 2010

At 9:08 PM +0000 6/4/10, RonButters wrote:
>"unacceptable" means that they follow regular grammatical rules but
>are hard to process. Like, "the horse raced by the barn fell" and
>"the oyster the oyster split split"

Rigbt, and the center-embedding effect with those starred examples
below prompts such a diagnosis, in which case they would end up
trading in their * for a #.  The same remedies apply, so just as
extraposition helps on the ones below ("Did it please you than John
showed up?"), turning the center embedding into right branching
structures ("The cheese that was eaten by the rat that was chased by
the cat that was hassled by the dog was rancid" as opposed to "*The
cheese that the cat that the dog hassled chased ate was rancid").

LH