Proverb: Two wrongs will not make one right (antedating 1768)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jun 6 14:12:13 UTC 2010

At 6/6/2010 12:31 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>The 1734 cite below is included because it contains the phrase "two
>>wrongs infer one right." This is not an instance of the maxim, but it
>>suggests that the maxim may have been known in 1734.
>
>It's also a nice illustration of the use of "infer" (with impersonal
>subjects) for "imply",

I was about to write something similar about the 18th century sense
of "infer".

>which was standard at that time (and before
>and since), even though parallel uses of "infer" with personal
>subjects didn't begin appearing until the late 19th c. (all this
>courtesy of the excellent MWDEU entry on "imply", "infer", which
>provides quotes parallel to this one from Shakespeare, Milton,
>Austen, and Hardy).

The OED has "infer, v." "1. {dag}c. with compl. To cause to be; to
make, render. Obs. rare," with presumably the MWDEU's Milton:  "1667
MILTON P.L. VII. 116 To glorifie the Maker, and inferr Thee also
happier."  That is its only quotation for this sense, so the 1734
might be a useful addition.  Unless it is taken as "{dag}1.    a.
trans. To bring on, bring about, induce, occasion, cause, procure; to
bring upon (a person, etc.), to inflict; to wage (war) upon. Obs.",
for which there are many citations, through 1754.

It seems to me that with Larry's information the 1734 cite
sufficiently fits the maxim.

Joel