herikan [sp?]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 7 00:38:55 UTC 2010

The phrase, "like a hurricane" [hErI.k&n], occurs in a song by Chuck
Berry. Unfortunately, Neil Young has written - or should that be,
"wrote"? - a song with the title, Like A Hurricane, which comes up
whether I try "hurricane," "herrican," "herikan," etc. No doubt the
title of the Berry song will eventually return to me. IAC, "h[E]rikan"
is a common BE pronunciation of _hurricane_, just as [hErI] for
"hurry" is so common that it was once likewise common in the speech of
your humble correspondent.

(Jon, you go, boy!)

-Wilson

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: herikan [sp?]
>
> In my experience, a "hurricane" is a wooded area that's been flattened by a
> hurricane or a tornado.
> JL
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Michael Sheehan <wordmall at aol.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Michael Sheehan <wordmall at AOL.COM>
>> Subject:      herikan [sp?]
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> Inquiry from a local teacher:  "In conversation on several occasions
>> the term =93herikan=94 (not sure how to spell it) came up. It=92s evident=
> ly
>> a hillbilly type term meaning way out in the country. Perhaps it=92s
>> similar to boondocks?  Do you have any resources that might lead to
>> its origin?
>>
>> Michael J. Sheehan

> --=20

-Wilson