"joining giblets" [and "stubble," adj.], 1812

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 7 20:01:28 UTC 2010

 From 1812 -- in the sense of "to marry" (?!):

Also "stubble, a." postdates OED2 -1641.  More on "stubble" below.

Farmer's Repository [Charlestown, West Virginia};
Date: 01-31-1812; Volume: IV; Issue: 201; Page: [4].  [EAN]

 From the Belfast News Letter.
The Goose" [title].

Let others praise the warbling Thrush [etc]
I'll sing the bird that's fit for use,
The fat, contented, stubble GOOSE,
Whose wing, my fire in winter blows---
Who gives me down for my repose---
The flavour of whose flesh I boast,
In broth, in pye, or boiled or roast---
Nay, lends a tongue unto my soul,
That's heard from Indies to the Pole,
With which I may invite love's care,
'Till I join giblet's [sic] with my fair!
   Malone, Dec. 31.                   B.

On "stubble":  Marked as Obs., with senses " a. ?
Clumsy, awkward.  b. ? Stoutly-built. stubble
boy."  Perhaps one of the question marks can be removed?

Just one hit in Google Books on the "stubble"
line, from (the works of) Percy Hethrington
Fitzgerald.  Further searching says the source is
"A Day's Tour: A Journey through France and
Belgium by Calais, Tournay, Orchies, Douai,
Arras, Béthune, Lille, Comines, Ypres, Hazebrouck, Berg.  [Gutenberg]

The line is in quotes in Fitzgerald; and his
dates are 1834-1925, so he could not have written
the 1812 poem.  Whom is he quoting?  Who is "Malone"?

Joel