eleventy-seven

Wed Jun 9 01:03:07 UTC 2010

I've been intending to post this note for these last 5 weeks or so.

A couple of years ago I posted a note on the word "forty-eleven", meaning an uncountably large number.  That post was prompted by a female perp in th 1820s -- a perpette? -- who told the magistrate that she didn't care if he sentenced her to "forty-'leven years".

The broadcasts of the Kentucky Drby and the Preakness both featured inane interviews with celebrities.  I'm so fearfully ignorant of current events that I didn't recognize any of them.  However, one lassie allowed that she had never been to the Derby (or perhaos Preakness), but that her husband had been to "eleventy-seven".
Is this a familiar variant?  Is it peculiar to her, influenced maybe by the chain of convenience stores?

GAT

George A. Thompson