The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jun 10 12:14:35 UTC 2010

I'm reminded of the common assumption among actors (especially Americans?) that "authentic" Shakespearean language can be performed on the stage by the imitating of present-day "prestige" British speech.

The opposite assumption obtains with costuming; dress the characters very differently from modern people, and they can pass for Elizabethan.

Charlie