turn-about

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 11 13:41:23 UTC 2010

At 2:44 AM -0400 6/11/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Why not?
>
>-Wison

Among other things, even though "woman" is diachronically related to
"man", at the time when it was formed (as wi:f-man), _man_ meant
'human', sex-neutrally, so there was wif-man or 'female person' and
waepned-man or 'penis'd man' (also carl-man).  At least historically,
"woman" never contained *our* "man".  Of course it could be argued
that's there's been reanalysis involved for the synchronic language.
I would agree with Mark that "man-izer" (which I also have from a New
Yorker cartoon over a decade ago, with the same telltale hyphen for
self-conscious coinage) is an analogical formation (rather than a
clip), as in "misandrist" based on "misogynist".

LH