Political figure resigning to spend more time with his family (1972 Sept 2) (was Margaret Thatcher Quotes)

Sat Jun 12 16:18:31 UTC 2010

Thanks to Fred Shapiro for the challenges. (On a different topic: I
have made some progress on the quote about World War 4 being fought
with primitive implements like stones, spears, bows, and arrows
mentioned on the NYT blog. The Einstein attribution can be pushed back
to June of 1948, i.e., before the first attribution to P. W. Slosson.
But Einstein is still unlikely as the coiner because the saying can be
pushed back to 1946. Library trips are needed to verify some details
and attempt make further progress.)

The Thatcher quotes are difficult because the databases I am using are
weak in UK newspaper coverage, but I'll try to allocate some time.

Regarding task 2: Here is an example in 1972 of a political figure,
John N. Mitchell, resigning during a major scandal. Some journalists
expressed incredulity at the reason Mitchell offered for resigning:

1972 September 2, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Mitchell Denies Knowledge
Of Bugging, Page 11-A (GN Page 31), Column 3, Sarasota, Florida.
(Google News Archive)

Mitchell himself left the campaign two weeks after the "Watergate
caper," but has denied the affair had anything to do with his
departure. He told reporters again Friday "the only reason" he stepped
down was to spend more time with his family.

Here is an example in 1973 referring to the same incident to show that
the phrase "more time with his family" was salient in the narrative.

Cite: 1973 May 7, Wilmington Morning Star, John Mitchell Says Don't
Take Martha Seriously, Page 2, Column 6, Wilmington, North Carolina.
(Google News archive)

Mitchell resigned as attorney general in March, 1972, to become
manager of Nixon's reelection campaign. Two weeks after the June 17
Watergate break-in, he announced he was leaving the campaign to spend
more time with his family.

This particular quote tracing task is interesting but appears to be
somewhat complicated and subjective: Is a politician really quitting
principally because of a scandal? Here is an example in 1947 of a
politician quitting and giving the "time with family" rationale. But
further research would be needed to construct the back-story and then
a subjective judgment would be required to decide if the reason given
is spurious. I have no idea why Finerty quit. People have been
mentioning "time with the family" as a reason for quitting for
decades:

1947 March 15, Chicago Daily Tribune, Mayor Finerty Quits Primary Race
in Gary, Page 6, Chicago, Illinois. (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)

Mayor Joseph E. Finerty of Gary announced yesterday that he would not
seek renomination and reelection. He has been mayor since 1943.
Mayor Finerty explained his actions as a wish to spend more time with
his family and a desire to help solve the public school race problem.

Garson