OT: Re: Old Norse (was The magistrate said "Merry")

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Jun 14 12:59:03 UTC 2010

On 6/12/10 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:19:54 +0000
> From:ronbutters at AOL.COM
> Subject: Old Norse (was The magistrate said "Merry")
>
> Who uses Modern Icelandic pronunciation in reading Old Norse literature aloud? Maybe people who speak Modern Icelandic natively. But why would anyone else? (Of course, there is not a lot of reading aloud of Old Norse anywhere in the world, anyway.)
>
> Are the phonological differences really all that great? As I recall, skaldic is somewhat older than the language of the eddas and sagas.
>
> Chronologically, Old Norse is more comparable to Old and Middle English. Nobody reads Beowulf or Gawain or Canterbury Tales with Modern English values for the letters.

Folks who learn ON/OI during summer programs in Iceland learn it with a
modern Icelandic pron. Folks who learn it from Icleandic profs. learn it
with a modern Icelandic pron. The Viking Society for Northern Research
put out a CD to accompany its New Intro to Old Norse reader and the
readings are read aloud with a modern Ice. pron. So, more people than
you'd think, Ron.

This is all very different from what I learned long ago: my ON prof. was
a historical linguist in the German dept., and although he had studied
in Iceland also, he used the historical pron.

Yes, the prons. are verrrrry different. As different as modern English
is from Old English. The New Intro to Old Norse shows both: I believe
that's available on the Viking Society's publications Web site, so if
you poke around you can find it.

As for my rationale for continuing with the historical pron -- other
than it being what I learned -- you basically stated it, Ron. Treating
it as I would OE.

"Skaldic" refers to the skaldic poems, and they vary in date. Yes, the
sagas and eddas weren't recorded until the 1200s or 1300s, and it's in
the sagas and the Prose Edda/Snorra Edda that we have the skaldic poems
preserved. The question always arises just how closely the poems were
composed to their recording date. Some can be dated with some certainty
to 800s/900s, some are more clearly closer to the 1200s/1300s. So the
language reflected in the skaldic poems isn't always older than that of
the surrounding prose preserving them. Runic inscriptions tend to
reflect an older version of the language, but again, because there are
runic inscriptions well into the 1400s, it's not necessarily an
"archaic" language.

Enough of this tangent: thanks for making me feel less of an oddball.

--
---Amy West