"outside of a dog"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 14 14:43:52 UTC 2010

For those unfamiliar with the publication in question:  In those
years, this magazine came free with a membership to the Cub Scouts,
and I assume the Boy Scouts as well.  I remember it well, having been
a Cub Scout for the whole Webelos trajectory--"Wolf Bear Lion
Scout"--but I dropped out before the Tenderfoot stage (I think I was
apprehensive about the ritual initation ceremony).  In fact in 1954 I
was a faithful subscriber, although I don't recall that particular
joke.  I recall it as Boys' Life--that is, I think the apostrophe
came in that position, but I suppose there may have been a
controversy might have been an precursor to the current brouhaha over
_The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's/Hornets' Nest_ (see yesterday's
Times Book Review blurb about "The Girl With the Strunk and White
Tattoo").

LH