Quote magnets revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 14 20:12:51 UTC 2010

At 3:43 PM -0400 6/14/10, victor steinbok wrote:
>You forgot Disraeli and George Bernard Shaw (with an occasional help
>from Russell). In fact, I've seen quite a number of quotations
>attributed, at the same time, to Russell, Churchill and Shaw or to
>Disraeli and Churchill. Dorothy Parker is not in competition with any
>of these guys, however.

In particular, given what we (think we) know about his sex life, Shaw
would have been unlikely to put off his editor by wiring "Tell him
I'm too fucking busy or vice versa."  Russell, on the other hand, may
have been a different story.

But then again, Dorothy Parker would seem to be an unlikely source
for a bovine behavior based aphorism.

LH